November 13, 2006

Shirt Stays

I know that this post will not help dissipate Matt's image of me as Niles from Frasier, but here I go anyway.

I strolled down to Macy's on my lunch break today to find some shirt stays.

Macy's is a big department store. They sell all sorts of things. Shirt stays are kind of rare these days, I suppose. You only see them really along with formal wear and uniforms, but I didn't think they were so endangered that a store the size of Macy's would fail to have them.

I walked in and asked one of the ladies, "Do you sell shirt stays?"
"Shirt stage?"
"Shirt stays?"
"What is that?"


Shirt stays are elastic straps that clip to your shirt tail and socks to keep your shirt from bunching or coming untucked.

In an episode of the Cosby show, Heathcliff Huxtable told his son, Theo, that they were to hold his socks up before people invented elastic. Ha! Ha! Remember that? It was so funny. That Bill Cosby is such a joker.

The last time I wore shirt stays was actually prom night. They came with the tuxedo that I rented. I thought they were nifty.

Anyway, shirt stays have been on my mind, so I went to Macy's.

I ran the ladies on the first floor all over looking for them. Then, when I asked where the formal wear department is, they looked puzzled again. I can kind of understand not knowing where the shirt stays are, but formal wear? You're fired.

They suggested the third floor, so up I went. It was not the formal wear department at all. But I saw a fussy looking older man there and I asked him about them.

He actually seemed delighted that someone would ask him about shirt stays or some other arcane device of male fashion.

"No," he sniffed, "We don't carry them. We should, but I haven't seen them for years. I hate to send you somewhere else, but I got my last pair at Bloomingdales. They should also have them at Lord & Taylor or Brooks Brothers. Any place on Fifth Avenue."

I thanked him for the tip and left Macy's.

I really didn't think that it would be this difficult.

Posted by Flibbertigibbet at November 13, 2006 01:38 PM | TrackBack

Um, I thought shirt stays were the plastic pieces that go into the collar to keep your collar from bending or getting all out of whack.

What are those called then?

Posted by: Britton at November 13, 2006 07:30 PM

Looks like those are called collar stays. In any case, Macy's is budget...don't bother going there for anything. Saks honey, Saks.

Posted by: Britton at November 13, 2006 07:33 PM

I also call those "collar points."

Posted by: Flibby at November 13, 2006 10:33 PM

You know that you are getting old when you can remember using regularly, shirt and collar stays and even remember mens sock garters. Sigh... youth is absolutely wasted on the young.

Posted by: GM Roper at November 13, 2006 10:58 PM

Shirt stays are a standard part of some formal military uniforms, so you might try a surplus store or similar, if you're really jonesing for them.

Posted by: Carla at November 13, 2006 11:46 PM

"Officers Equipment Company" is one of the leading (and best) manufacturers of shirt stays. They are pretty common in the military, especially the Marines. You could do a Google search for them or Ebay. It's a cool way to keep your shirt tucked in (and your socks up!). Good luck.

Posted by: Mike at November 21, 2006 12:53 PM
Post a comment

Remember personal info?